Thursday, September 17, 2009

Follow the Money









As I've written before, the Democratic Republic of the Congo is not a safe place. It's not safe for foreigners, but it's REALLY not safe for Congolese.

I snapped the above photographs of an MSF nurse on his day off, riding his son around on a bicycle ... in so many places on earth, an everyday domestic scene. In the D.R.C., however, this nurse (I'm sorry I didn't get his name ... I was walking past with one of his colleagues, and we stopped only for a moment) is a target. He has a job; therefore he has money. The bicycle is visible proof.

I don't know if this man has been robbed in his home at gunpoint, but I met others who had been, and simply because as jobholders, they are obvious targets.

The war, the banditry are the root of all evil in the D.R.C. Until security can be assured, the Congolese people cannot cultivate their fields, educate their children, establish businesses ... and ride their bicycles.

4 comments:

  1. At least,
    I now see nurse's happy and precious moment with his son by your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Cape Town.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. And for all the good you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Justin, but I can't really take any credit. I'm just taking photographs ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Documenting is helping.

    ReplyDelete