Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nathalie, psychologue



On bulletin boards in several MSF compounds I saw the above notice, a simple handwritten sign with the name and number of a psychologist [I've changed the number because hey, this is the Internet.] Obviously, dealing every day not only with extreme poverty and its health-related consequences of disease and malnutrition, but also conflict-related injuries such as gunshot and machete wounds and burns, can take its toll psychologically.

I didn't speak on this subject with anyone I met while I was in the D.R. Congo, but I read about it in Dan Bortolotti's "Hope in Hell", a good book I quoted from yesterday. Bortolotti interviewed a number of people about the psychological effects of their experiences in conflict zones, and one story stayed with me.

He writes about a nurse who served in Africa who on her return to the tiny community in northern Canada where she worked and lived, had trouble adjusting. Substance abuse was a major problem in the community, and the nurse was frustrated not only that many health problems were to a great extent "self-inflicted", but also that people had little understanding of their relatively privileged circumstances.

She said, "I really had a problem with the drinking-related stuff – people calling me inn the middle of the night, getting yelled at, cursed at. I remember having no sympathy for my patients and really having to cover that up, because that could have got me in trouble ... I just wanted to take them by the shirt and shake them and say, 'You're so damn lucky. You have a life, you're relatively healthy, you don't risk being shot every day, you can be vaccinated for meningitis.'"

Bortolotti then goes on to quote from an e-mail the nurse sent to a colleague who had been in Burundi with her: "We had a murder here last Tuesday. First one in five years – not too bad for a community of 850. As I performed CPR on this man's lifeless body, I was surprised to note how detached I felt. He'd attached someone and then got stabbed in the chest – both of them were screaming drunk. Later, when we pronounced him dead, I felt no empathy for the man, nor for the family. No sadness. The two nurses I worked with that night were quite freaked out. When they offered us 'debriefing and counseling' the next day, I almost laughed ... It is snowing and dark now at 3 p.m. Nothing to do but walk the dog and visit friends. It is true, nobody really wants to hear about Burundi. I am talking on the local radio this Tuesday. I will keep it very simple. I would love to tell them how fortunate they are to live in a country with such great access to health care, even if it sucks by Canadian standards."

For the most part, it's true. "... nobody really wants to hear about Burundi ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment