Sunday, August 23, 2009

Going to the Democratic Republic of the Congo ...

From July 19-August 4, I'll be in the Democratic Republic of Congo, shooting photographs for a project I am undertaking with Medecins Sans Frontieres Japan (www.msf.or.jp/).

The project arose from a couple of efforts I made to create "comic books" from photographs of 1) HIV/AIDS victims in Cambodia, shot by Bangkok-based photographer Masaru Goto (www.masarugoto.com), which can be seen here: http://urgentactionneeded.blogspot.com/, and 2) malnutrition sufferers in Niger, developed from images I selected from the Medecins Sans Frontieres database. That "comic" can be seen here: http://msfhelpingthehungry.blogspot.com/.

I'll be traveling (with Ayako Tsujisaka, of Medecins Sans Frontieres Japan) to Kinshasa, and then up country, to Goma, Rutshuru, Kabizo, Nyanzale, Bunia and Gety. Ayako-san and I will be visiting a number of Medecins Sans Frontieres programs that deal with a wide range of health issues, ranging from sexual violence to malnutrition to general hospital medical care and more.

Depending on the availability of electricity and an Internet connection, I'll be posting to this blog as often as I can. Some images, some text, and as many "comics" as I can. I put "comics" in quotes because I don't expect many of them to be too humorous ... the comic book medium will be a storytelling medium.

More from ... the heart of darkness.

1 comment: