Sunday, August 23, 2009

Whiskey Kilo



The (in)security situation in the eastern Congo (of which I have seen evidence multiple times during this trip, though I can't for security reasons divulge any details) means MSF vehicles and personnel must stay in regular contact with their home bases. All the Land Cruisers have massive radio antennae attached to their front bumpers, and drivers radio in frequently to report their progress past predetermined checkpoints.

The job of tracking vehicle and personnel movements falls to radio operators in each base, and pictured above is the radio operator at Kabizo, in North Kivu. The Kabizo station goes by the radio handle "Whiskey Kilo", and the operator, a very kind man with a face my camera loved, also goes by the handle "Whiskey Kilo". I never learned his real name, because I never heard anyone call him anything but "Whiskey Kilo".

No comments:

Post a Comment