Sunday, August 23, 2009

The long and dusty road ...









I was lucky, or unlucky, depending on your perspective, to travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo during the dry season, which is pretty dry. The wet season, I understand, is very wet.

The one downside of the dry season is dust. Road dust. In a country where there are reportedly only several hundred kilometers of roads that remain paved, there's a lot of dust. [The "good" news is that there are very few vehicles kicking the dust into the air.] Dust in your clothes, dust in your bags, dust in your hair (if you have any).

On the recommendation of an old hand, I wore a bandanna over my face during one especially dusty leg. I half hoped we'd run into a rebel ambush, so I could pretend to be a bandit: "No, YOU drop the gun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment