Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Miracle Photo



With the exception of a few plane rides, my travel in the Congo has been in a MSF Land Cruiser, bouncing (hard) at 20-50 kph over unpaved, very rutted roads. On very few occasions has there been time to stop the car to get out to snap tourist photos, but I've done my best to try to capture the countryside by holding my camera out one of the sliding windows in the back (where I ride) of the truck.

I've managed quite a few decent shots in this way, but this shot I thought was a miracle. We were grinding up a hill between Rutshuru and Kabizo, at at least 30 kph, which doesn't sound fast until you see the roads, and I spotted this child up ahead carrying a sheaf of grass stalks, probably for use in constructing a hut. As always, I tried to try to click the shutter at the right time, but didn't have high expectations. It turned out amazingly (I think), and a second or two later, back to business as usual, the next shot showed a blur of vehicle roof, leaves and sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment